Re: What means "unmaintained" (Was: What should be moved to math-team)

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 09:55:47AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Tue, Nov 09, 2021 at 08:50:08PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
> > Maybe, it is also a fine idea to move packages which are important in the science team,
> > but are unmaintained.
>
> But first we need a definition of unmaintained.  I think we get some
> hints if
>
>   * A package smells[1]
>   * Has long standing unanswered bugs of severity RC or important

ACK.

>   * Is outdated / has a non-working watch file

True in general, but one exception being the github URLs changing tags/releases.
A lot of packages (even mine) have 'non-working' watch because of this change, but IMO they are well maintained.

> What else?

   * Packages effectively "maintained" by NMUs
   * Packages with ancient dh versions (< 8) and standards version (<= 3.9.x)
   * Packages not using debhelper for no good reason, but rather because nobody
     has the time to work on it.
   * Packages with DDs being MIA (for a very long while)
   * Packages which have not seen uploads in like a decade or so

These are some more pointers I could think of.
Does this sound fair enough to you?

Nilesh