Re: CoinMP was listed as smelling ;-)

Hi Rene,

thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Am Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 12:25:30PM +0100 schrieb Rene Engelhard:
> Am 10. November 2021 12:06:16 MEZ schrieb Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu>:
> >Hi Rene,
> >
> >I've found coinmp at the list of smelling packages[1] and found some
> >spare cycles to reduce its smell. ;-)
> >
> >In VCS I've found
> >
> >   coinmp (1.8.3-2) unstable; urgency=medium
> >
> >     * upload to unstable
> >

> >but this upload never happened.
>
> ???
>
> >  Thus I'm wondering whether you
> >intentionally did not moved that version from experimental to unstable.
>
> Huh? What? coinmp is 1.8.3-3(!) in unstable (even testing and stable) and 1.8.3-2 is even in old stable.

Ahhhh, yes, I was not reading tracker properly - sorry about the
confusion.

> Probably i just forgot to commit to git..

Yes, I've just seen some -1 Version in experimental...

> >Unfortunately there is an issue with debhelper compat level 13 which
> >I've choosen since its calling autoreconf automatically and coinmp does
> >not autoreconfigure with the new version of autoconf anyway - the build
> >stops with:
> (...)
>

> >So we can either revert the compat level bump from 13 back to 10 (I
> >think)
>
> Yes, i don't like bumping compat just for bumping compat. l

I'm fine with whatever compat level works for you.  In the long
run it has advantages to keep the same compat level in team
maintained packages.

> > May be latest upstream (1.8.4) has
> >fixed this which I did not checked.
>
> Doubt that.
>
> >I'd like to leave those decisions rather to you as the originial uploader
> >of this package before I might break anything.
>
> I'd say there is nothing to see here except that I maybe should upload 1.8.4 (but that changed the soname backwards...)
>
> P.S.;
>
> >[1] https://trends.debian.net/packages-with-smells-sorted-by-maintainer.txt
>
> The only thing which smells here is the fact that such a list even exists.

Well, in the case of coinmp the hint to some missing VCS field
is sensible and I wished you could incorporate my changes (except
the compat level bump into your next upload).  It fixes a lot of
lintian issues without any manual effort.

Thanks for maintaining coinmp