Re: Debian Math Team

On 4 November 2021 9:32:08 pm IST, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Am Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 04:43:12PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
>> > I disagree. I find at least JavaScript and Perl packages quite uniform,
>> > and I have an impression that at least
>>
>> I cannot say about perl,
>
>I absolutely agree about Perl team and as I said we left some Perl
>libraries to that team and I would not mind if some Perl team member
>asks for moving everything to them.  For historic reasons we just
>have some software written in Perl in Debian Med team.
>
>To come back to Debian Science:  My gut feeling is that there are so
>many packages of very different fields in very different state that it
>is very hard to care for them all.  My gut feeling is that some Debian
>Math team can have a better overview and the quality of math related
>packages can be enhanced.  If some of these can be moved into good hands
>of a language team - why not?

Ofcourse, I never said we should not. But what I meant to say is that standards/ease of packaging are not same across teams and certain stuff is best if maintained in the language team. JS is a good example, same goes for say, golang (we very recently moved a lib there if you remember).

But certain packages, which are very specifically either scientific or bioinformatics, I prefer our blends for these. One of the canonical reasons being that it'd be easier to track them for me. I absolutely don't mind someone taking them over, either.

Nilesh