Re: Debian Math Team

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for finding time to reply to my worries.

On 2021-11-01 16:19, Andreas Tille wrote:
>   1. Another "one-man" team
>      I think Ole gave a good answer here:  Its not about creating a
>      one-man team but rather attract more people to the team - from
>      inside and outside Debian.  For those who have any doubt that this
>      can work:  There are 23 people who confirmed, that they became
>      DDs *because* Debian Med exists[4].  Debian Med is now nearly
>      20 years old.  I would love if Debian Math would beat Debian Med
>      in attracting new developers.  (Andrius, you even belong to this
>      set. ;-) )

It is true that I am among these 23 :) My reason for being in the list
is mostly pragmatical: it was Debian Med people who signed my key and
advocated me to become a DD, and for this I am very grateful. I believe
being very open and very friendly to newcomers is one of the strongest
sides of Debian Med.

>      Those 20 years when the Debian Med project have teached me that
>      it is very important to advertise the fact to the world that Debian
>      is targeting specific fields of science and IMHO mathematics is
>       a) well worth to be advertised
>       b) has lots of technically competent people beeing potential DDs
>
>   2. Further fragmentation of debian-science
>      I do not think that another Blend will lead to fragmentation of
>      Debian Science.  Sure, some mathematics related packages will be
>      moved sooner or later but I personally can not see in how far
>      this might weaken Debian Science.  I personally see also additional
>      contributors for Debian Science once more mathematicans might
>      join Debian (as I'm very positive about).
>
> Am Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 06:18:28PM +0530 schrieb Nilesh Patra:
>> Hi Andrius,
>>
>> Thanks for replying. See below :-
>>
>> On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 10:33:02AM +0300, Andrius Merkys wrote:

I am skipping most of your replies to Nilesh's response to my mail. I
ACK the skipped parts.

>>> Furthermore, from my experience one does not need domain
>>> knowledge to successfully package and maintain packages in Debian.
>>> What makes more sense to me, is organizing packages into teams based on
>>> programming languages and build/test systems, as such teams indeed
>>> possess specific knowledge. I think most of the mails asking for help in
>>> debian-med concern language and build system problems, not
>>> domain-specific issues.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I have to admit this argument of yours is sloppy, Andrius.
>> By this logic, we could push entire debian-med python packages into python-team,
>> java packages into java-team and so on...
>
> While this would work in principle the point of creating a Blend is to
> attract experts who know the algorithm and internals of a certain
> software to craft sensible packages and enable thorough testing.  This
> is usually not simply a programming language issue.  In Debian Med we
> have several upstreams maintaining their software as Debian packages
> (after sufficient teaching of the packaging process and for sure
> sponsored by a DD).  IMHO exactly this is the strength of the Blends
> concept to pair experts of the software with packaging experts.  Even
> better if this can be completed to involve users into that effort which
> does not (yet) work as good as expected (but this has IMHO more external
> reasons which we can hardly solve).

I see your point. However I am not entirely convinced that teams are
essential here. Maybe separate mailing lists could be enough? In the end
upstreams mostly work on one-two source packages, and even if they
become DMs they do not get push/upload permissions for all source
packages of a team, do they? Domain-specific mailing lists could indeed
be a go-to place for newcomers, those in need of help with packaging and
sponsoring and so on.

>>> I am worried reading about R packages being moved from debian-r to new
>>> debian-math. I am afraid doing so might negatively impact their quality.
>>
>> You are right in your worries, but I have some statistics to present here.
>> See here[1] or more specifically, look here[2,3]
>
> I'm not worried about moving R packages to some other Blend.  It has
> turned out to be a good idea to move all R packages from Debian Science,
> Debian Med Debichem and possibly others into one language specific team.
> However, this had happened since R packages are extremely uniform and
> usually come with test suites that can be re-used which to some extend
> is taking over the role of an expert knowing the software.  There are
> also not really any specific decisions to make about the packaging since
> everything is really straightforward.
>
> This is absolutely different to software written in Python, Java or
> anything else.

I disagree. I find at least JavaScript and Perl packages quite uniform,
and I have an impression that at least Perl packages outside the Debian
Perl Team are generally in poorer shape than those inside the team.

>> The number of pure math software in R package team is in no way overflowing, so I really think this should
>> be manageable. The probability of it having a bit-rot will be less -- atleast not high with me, Andreas, Doug et. al.
>> being around.
>>
>> However if you very strongly feel about it, we could leave the R packages where they are and continue maintaining
>> them under R package umbrella.
>
> I'd say any Debian Math member who is interested in R packages should
> simply join pkg-r team and be done.

Agree.

>> [1]: http://blends.debian.net/liststats/
>> [2]: http://blends.debian.net/liststats/uploaders_r-pkg.png
>> [3]: http://blends.debian.net/liststats/commitstat_pkg-r.png
>
> [4] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Developers

Thanks again for discussing this with me!

Cheers,
Andrius