Re: Science Subgroups [was Re: Debian Math Team]

Hi,

Le mercredi 03 novembre 2021 à 15:41 +0530, Nilesh Patra a écrit :

> On Wed, Nov 03, 2021 at 08:38:10PM +1100, Stuart Prescott wrote:
> > Separate teams are optimised for the "main" maintainer of a handful
> > of
> > packages who doesn't routinely work on any other packages; they are
> > optimised
> > _against_ bugsquashers, generalists or people trying to land big
> > projects
> > across large sets of packages.
>
> I'm not sure how that's true, would you mind explaining a bit?

I wanted sagemath in Debian. So I started packaging things left and
right, and because of that, I'm now a DD with my hands in the Debian
Python Team, the Debian JavaScript Team and the Debian Science Team.
And I need to be in those teams to do anything useful. If there had
already been a Debian Math Team at that time, I would have needed to
join too -- one more team!

And I think that's Stuart's point : someone who is either a bug-hunter
(yes, some like it) or who is aiming at a large target (dropping Python
2, packaging a beast) will need to be part of all teams involved, and
having too many of them is adding to the chore.

I'm not sure that's a strong issue, though.

Cheers,

J.Puydt