Re: Team upload policy

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 01:34:05PM +0200, Drew Parsons wrote:
> The Python Team policy looks sensible to me.

It is not, please do not let such thing spread outside the Python team.
I don't remember if you are involved in the Python team, but I can tell
you that the low-level of "teamship" that is there is only annoying, and
this part of the policy goes straight against collaboration.

> Any member of the team should be able to fix and upload any team package in
> general.  That helps spread the load and keeps the packages fresh.

That's exactly how it works already in the science team from what I
could see over the years.  What the science team is lacking is active
contributors, there are no rules that are blocking people from fixing
and uploads stuff.
I like the science team because I always felt fine uploading random
changes in the past when I needed them, in the python team I always need
to ponder "will the main uploader be bothered about my chnages" every
time.

> But reasonable also to have a stronger oversight model (the weak
> collaboration case) if a particular package is more tricky and needs more
> care.

IME, this is just an overstatement.  I very very rarely saw team members
overstep common sense.  If a package is tricky a proper DD should be
able to tell so and ask for opinions, and that happens every so often.
We are already fine here.
Let's not overcomplicate matters.

Timo: go ahead and fix the packages.  Just, IMHO please do not add
allow-stderr, instead patch CMakeList to require an higher version (and
forward the patch upstream if possible).  I always felt that too many
packages already have allow-stderr where instead erroring out on stderr
is a very fine way to catch future regressions *exactly* like this one.
Looking at the src:cmake page I see there are not too many affected
packages, so it should be fine?

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo