Re: Multi-Body Dynamics Simulation in Debian

Hi Drew,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

On Fri, Mar 26, 2021 at 04:14:47PM +0100, Drew Parsons wrote:
> Multibody dynamics brings to mind molecular dynamics (gromacs, lammps),
> though you mean contact mechanics not atomistic dynamics.  Perhaps the MD
> software can be adapted to that though it would be a different kind of model
> (element-based contact modelling rather than continuum body modelling) .
>
> We have a number of finite element packages (fenics, deal.ii) which can
> serve as the engine for contact mechanics, though you'd have to implement
> the weak formulation for your system to get it running (example scripts
> exist).
>
> Does siconos do what you need?

Yeah, sorry, I probably should have included a use case to show what my
needs were. The project I'm working on is an electro-mechanical actuator
and the simulation software would be used to predict the performance of
the unit from electrical input to a motor to load output at the end of
the gear box.

Thanks for your suggestion! It does seem to do what I'm after, though it
seems to lack the integration with FreeCAD. But again, thanks, I'll look
into it and see if it would serve the purpose. At a first glance it
seems more advanced and feature rich than MBDyn.

Many thanks,

--
Rock Storm
GPG KeyID: 4096R/C96832FD