Re: Pandas new version

On Tue, 05 Feb 2019, Andreas Tille wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 08:48:09AM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:

> > On a longer term, it would be good to clean this package up (removing
> > f.e. the special Cython handling) -- Yaroslav, how much do you still
> > these things? Since Panda is one of the universal packages, it would be
> > good to have it as standard as possible to make team maintenance simple.

> I agree that we should settle with a simple standard and even the last
> say 5 Ubuntu versions will be able to cope with this.  So may be there
> is just historic stuff in the packaging and nobody minded to clean it
> up.  Yaroslav, if you do not contradict with this we need to assume that
> I'm correct with my assumption and whoever might do the upgrade should
> make packaging as simple and easily understandable as possible.

Is special cython handling too much to handle?  if not - I would beg to
keep it.  I thought it is modular enough to not be a sore point -- if
helps, feel welcome to move those rules down in the file.  Having it
greatly simplifies  backporting to older debian/ubuntus which
might lack up to date cython and providing cython backport itself would
be too destructive (causing other FTBFS etc).  May be you see a better
way?

For the same reason of backports I would ask to not strip all the
python2 support in there prematurely.

otherwise, I would wholeheartedly welcome simplifications as long as
pandas builds seamlessly also at least on debian stable (or soon
oldstable) and some recent ubuntus.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko
Center for Open Neuroscience     http://centerforopenneuroscience.org