Re: h5py and hdf5-mpi

On 2019-08-13 18:47, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

I'd go with this policy in general:  codes available as both serial
and mpi should probably be shipped mpi by default.

This is certainly the simplest approach.  It's a 2-line edit:
change Build-Depends: libhdf5-dev to libhdf5-mpi-dev.
and add --mpi to the h5py configure step.

In principle nothing else needs to change.

I suggest we try this first and monitor how it performs for our serial users. If it proves to be causing problems then we can we can proceed with the alternatives option of providing both h5py-serial and h5py-mpi (with or without mpich).

Shall we go ahead with Alastair's "minimal" change now, or should we discuss further?

Drew