Re: h5py and hdf5-mpi

Hi Drew,

thanks for the commits to h5py.

On 2019-08-12 03:10, Drew Parsons wrote:
> We need to change h5py to support hdf5-mpi.  h5py is somewhat crippled
> as serial-only.

I didn't even notice that since my use case for hdf5 is light-weight.
(training data is fully loaded from hdf5 into memory)

In fact I don't know. Maybe @ghisvail could answer?

> A related question, is there much point setting up support for
> hdf5-mpich as well as hdf5-openmpi?  Increasing build and
> package-alternatives complexity, but once it's done once to
> distinguish hdf5-serial from hdf5-mpi, it's not that much more work to
> also split hdf5-mpi between hdf5-mpich and hdf5-openmpi.

My personal opinion is to just choose a reasonable default,
unless users shouted for that.

Compiling every possible configuration will eventually make
the science team maintenance burden notorious. h5py is not
like BLAS64/BLAS-flavours which are clearly needed by some
portion of scientific users.