Re: mpi-defaults: Incorrect debian/1.9 tag

On 5 Feb 2018, at 12:48, Alastair McKinstry <alastair.mckinstry@sceal.ie> wrote:
> On 05/02/2018 12:42, James Clarke wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've just done a team upload of mpi-defaults to add ia64 support, and did a bit
>> of cleanup at the same time (optional->extra, compat and standards version,
>> Vcs-*, etc). I noticed however that the debian/1.9 tag currently points to the
>> debian/1.8 commit, as opposed to 5941a2422bdb7ae0f53dd97ef1d451f19b5a391a. I've
>> re-created the tag on Alioth to point to the right commit in case anyone clones
>> (or fetches) via SSH, but GitLab doesn't let non-Masters delete tags, so I
>> can't fix it on Salsa. Could someone please delete the tag on Salsa for me?
>>
>> James
>>
>> NB: If you have a local checkout with the debian/1.9 tag, git (deliberately)
>>     doesn't update local tags, so you'll need to delete it and re-fetch it once
>>     this has been fixed if you want to have the correct one.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Deleted the 1.9 tag on salsa.

Thanks, new tag pushed.

> I think we also need to change powerpc and ppc64 to mpich, as of openmpi3:
> "
> configure: error: Big endian PPC is no longer supported.
> "

Ah yes, I remember seeing the upstream commit where they decided to remove the
code rather than not have it officially supported. I don't understand why they
have to remove something like that when things like hppa and ia64 still work,
but alas. I'll let someone with more MPI knowledge deal with that when the 2->3
transition occurs.

Having said that, I *believe* if you alter the configure script to treat
big-endian powerpc like little-endian powerpc it will build fine, but they may
have since deleted other required bits. I wonder if we can convince upstream to
leave it in as an unofficial thing... :(

James