ROS environment setup

Hi,

I installed ROS from the official Stretch sources. However, I'm not able to use it since the environment is not set up correctly. For example, if I try to do

catkin_create_pkg test roscpp

I get the following error: catkin_create_pkg: error: argument --rosdistro is required

Is there a setup script corresponding to /opt/ros/${ROS_DISTRO}/setup.bash that sets all required environment variables, like ROS_DISTRO, ROS_MASTER_URI etc.? There are some related scripts in /etc/catkin/profile.d, but how are those invoked?

Best
Dino