Re: Skip VTK7 and go directly VTK8? Was: Re: vtk6 and vtk7

Am Sonntag, den 26.11.2017, 09:55 +0100 schrieb Christophe Trophime:

> Providing very few changes to paraview package any package using VTK
> can be built on top of ParaView.

I guess this version of VTK included in paraview is build with the
OpenGL2 render backend, right? In that case  it will not suffice for
all packages, because some need the soon-to-be-droppped OpenGL render
interface, i.e.  dor that reason a part of vtk6 will probably have to
be kept, although probably only the library and dev package.

> Sorry to jump into this discussion but I really think that some work
> is needed for ParaView/VTK, at least to clarify the question of VTK
> version?
My concern is mostly about keeping some applications in Debian that are
of interest to debian.med, and will currently not run with newer
versions of VTK, mostly because of the new OPENGL2 requirements (i.e.
OpenGL >= 3.2 and mesa not providing a compatibility context for this
and newer versions).

Outside of this context I really have currently not much use for VTK,
and specifically paraview.

One concern of providing VTK via paraview could be that RC bugs in
paraview that are unrelated to VTK would then affect more packages.

Best,
Gert