Re: Skip VTK7 and go directly VTK8? Was: Re: vtk6 and vtk7

Thanks Gert for the ping; hopfully they'll get to it soon.

On a related note, VTK has bumped its version to 9.0.0 in master [1], so it looks like soon we'll have to catch up with three (!) major versions. (Perhaps we'll have to rethink how we package vtk for debian.)

Cheers,
Nico

[1] https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/commit/43ce9dd8f81c2275515f84e7ce2395d8812dcd0d

On Thu, Nov 9, 2017 at 10:44 AM Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello Nico,

Am Dienstag, den 07.11.2017, 13:12 +0000 schrieb Nico Schlömer:
> VTK7 is in NEW for two months again with no indication of when it
> will be through.
Well it is a big package, and it came also with an ITP.

> I need VTK for my work and would like to start tweaking the package,
> especially since xdmf3 landed in d/copyright::Files-Excluded. (No
> idea why.)

This is there for some time already, longer then I have been touching
this package, but for some reason it is not enabled to use the system
version neither, I think there is some bug.

> I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mess with the package while in
> NEW though. What do you usually do in such situations?
If I just need the packages for myself, then I create a local version
that might be uploaded as soon as the pakage has cleared the NEW
pipeline.

Anyway, I'll ping the FTP-master that rejected it the first time.

Best,
Gert