packaging: is keeping debian/ files in an upstream repository a good idea?

Since I'm intending to propose my project to be taken into debian, but also to facilitate my building of 'homebrew' .deb packages, I have written a set of files to go into the debian/ directory, like

debian
├── compat
├── control
├── copyright
├── files
├── rules
├── source
│   └── format
├── vspline-dev.install
├── vspline-example.install
└── watch

Is it a good idea to put the debian folder and it's contents under version control in my upstream repository, or should I have these files exclusively in the alioth repository?

with regards
Kay F. Jahnke