Re: generic C++ code for uniform b-spline processing

Hi Kay,

please permit that I continue this conversation in public where it
started.  I'm sorry to admit that I have no time for private teaching
and on one hand public discussion provides better input from different
people on the other hand your learning process is archived for later
reference that might help others.

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 07:17:57PM +0200, Kay F. Jahnke wrote:
> Okay, I'm back online. I'm trying to go through the process described in
>
> http://honk.sigxcpu.org/projects/git-buildpackage/manual-html/gbp.html
>
> But I'm not really getting anywhere.

I guess this is probably not the best first reading.  I'd recommend

   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/

   https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/

as the first step rather than gbp manual.

> My intended package is a header-only
> C++ library plus a few examples, there is nothing to 'build', and somehow I
> can't seem to make gbp to understand that all I want to do is provide a few
> sources and a some collateral files, have them put in usr/... and specify a
> few dependencies on other packages, which provide headers I include.

I'd like to repeat as a helpful example

    apt-get source cimg

the debian/ dir should possibly answer all your questions.

> What I can do though is build a simple package with dpkg-deb, which does all
> I want it to do. I have a control file in vspline/DEBIAN/control:

Please do NOT create DEBIAN/control manually.  The developer should just
edit files in debian/ (lowercase!).

> When I issue 'dpkg-deb --build vspline' I get the .deb package.

I would not recommend to use dpkg-deb but rather wrappers like debuild or
pdebuild - please read in the linked docs about these.

I just CC debian-science list for completion with the remaining text
of yours.  May be others might like to comment here but I think what
I wrote should bring you back on track.