Re: HDF5 1.10 transition?

Antonio Valentino a écrit le 30/10/2016 à 18:16 :
> Hi Gilles,
>
> Il 29/10/2016 17:17, Gilles Filippini ha scritto:
>> On 2016-10-25 09:42, Jerome Kieffer wrote:

>>> There are many things going around pytables, h5py and hdf5:
>>>
>>> * h5py (2.6) supports the new features of hdf5 1.10 (SWMR mainly)
>>>
>>> * pytable is useful but no more heavily developed. It has been agreed
>>>   with the dev of h5py to make pytable depend on h5py to have only 1
>>>   wrapper for hdf5 in python and pytables will just offer a different
>>> API.
>>>
>>> This said, I don't know how advanced this migation.
>>
>> This option was first discussed at SciPy 2015 [1], then officially
>> announced after SciPy 2016 [2].
>>
>> [1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pytables-users/GBVkvGexSag
>> [2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/h5py/IAaiyHOiJKE
>>
>> Unfortunaly it is far from achieved and the dedicated 'pt4' branch of
>> the pytables repo is stalled since late august. Thus the 'pytables overs
>> h5py' option seems dead for Stretch release.
>
> Yes I can confirm that pt4 is not an option for Stretch.
> The PyTable project is currently moving very slowly due to lack of time
> of the maintainers (including me).
>
>> This left us with the 'embed hdf5 1.8.16 into the pytable package' option.
>>
>> Antonio, any thought about this?
>
> In theory pytables should be able to work with HDF5 1.10 using the old
> 1.8 API.
> Unfortunately it seems that there is some compatibility issue (see also
> [1]) that none of the PyTables maintainers had the time to fix.
> IMHO a patch for PyTables v3.3 to fix compatibility with HDF5 1.10 would
> be a better option if someone has some time to dedicate to it.

The HDF5 1.10 package in experimental was built with
"--with-default-api-version=v18". But there is one major difference with
1.8.x releases: hid_t is now 64 bit integer instead of standard int.

I gave a try patching pytables v3.3 in some obvious places, with no
success at all. Any help on this side would be greatly appreciated.

> I would take the embedded hdf5 1.8.16 option as a fallback solution also
> because it could cause non trivial issues if someone uses pytables (with
> hdf51.8.16) and h5py (with hdf5 1.10) in the same program.
>
> Do we have a timeline for this?

As I understand it, the deadline is the Stretch transition freeze: 5th
of november 2016.

> [1] https://github.com/PyTables/PyTables/issues/545

Thanks,

_g.