Re: HDF5 1.10 transition?

Hi Gilles,

Il 29/10/2016 17:17, Gilles Filippini ha scritto:
> On 2016-10-25 09:42, Jerome Kieffer wrote:
>> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 08:13:43 +0100
>> Ghislain Vaillant <ghisvail@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> What about h5py ? Have you tried it with hdf5 v1.10 ?
>>>

>> There are many things going around pytables, h5py and hdf5:
>>
>> * h5py (2.6) supports the new features of hdf5 1.10 (SWMR mainly)
>>
>> * pytable is useful but no more heavily developed. It has been agreed
>>   with the dev of h5py to make pytable depend on h5py to have only 1
>>   wrapper for hdf5 in python and pytables will just offer a different
>> API.
>>
>> This said, I don't know how advanced this migation.
>
> This option was first discussed at SciPy 2015 [1], then officially
> announced after SciPy 2016 [2].
>
> [1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pytables-users/GBVkvGexSag
> [2] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/h5py/IAaiyHOiJKE
>
> Unfortunaly it is far from achieved and the dedicated 'pt4' branch of
> the pytables repo is stalled since late august. Thus the 'pytables overs
> h5py' option seems dead for Stretch release.

Yes I can confirm that pt4 is not an option for Stretch.
The PyTable project is currently moving very slowly due to lack of time
of the maintainers (including me).

> This left us with the 'embed hdf5 1.8.16 into the pytable package' option.
>
> Antonio, any thought about this?

In theory pytables should be able to work with HDF5 1.10 using the old
1.8 API.
Unfortunately it seems that there is some compatibility issue (see also
[1]) that none of the PyTables maintainers had the time to fix.
IMHO a patch for PyTables v3.3 to fix compatibility with HDF5 1.10 would
be a better option if someone has some time to dedicate to it.

I would take the embedded hdf5 1.8.16 option as a fallback solution also
because it could cause non trivial issues if someone uses pytables (with
hdf51.8.16) and h5py (with hdf5 1.10) in the same program.

Do we have a timeline for this?

[1] https://github.com/PyTables/PyTables/issues/545

cheers

--