Re: proposal for a VTK meta-package

Hello,

I've added debian-science to the CC because VTK is group maintained
within this group.

Am Mittwoch, den 19.10.2016, 09:16 +0200 schrieb nkr:
> I got you email address from the libvtk6-dev page. I want to suggest
> creating a virtual-package for vtk library (vtk-dev or libvtk-dev)
> which automatically links to the latest vtk libraries in every debian
> suite.

Actually, this could be simply achieved by adding

Provides: libvtk-dev

to the libvtkX-dev package that should be the default. I'm actually in
favor of this because it would also transitions easier later on when
the default switches.

If nobody voices another opinion I'd prepare an upload that does just
that for libvtk6-dev.

> https://packages.debian.org/stretch/petsc-dev

This is actually not a virtual package, but a meta-package that depends
on the real one. I'm not so sure if we would want this. The aim is
usually to have just one VTK version available, because upstream always
no longer maintains older versions. For stretch this will be vtk6, but
after this we will have to look into vtk7.

> I'm also willing to package and maintain some tools that I regularly
> use (paraview, libmesh, petsc-dev, vtk) if anybody could sponsor me.

You are very welcome to help maintaining these packages. I am still in
the process to become a DD, which means I can not yet sponsor you, but
there are certainly DDs in debian-science who can do this.

Thanks for reaching out,
Gert