Re: Debhelper for R packages

On Sat, Oct 08, 2016 at 08:05:36AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 04:25:40PM +0200, Gordon Ball wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, and some people prefer GitHub or Gitlab or their own git server.
> > > Different strokes for different folks.
> >
> > They should in any case be in sync, providing I remember to keep them
> > so. The Vcs-Url in d/control will remain the git.debian.org one.
>
> IMHO that's not matter of personal preference but a matter of how to
> work together in a Debian maintainers team.  There are tools working on
> git.debian.org but not elsewhere.  I keep on thinking that a Debian R
> maintainers group would make a lot of sense and R packages should be
> maintained on alioth.

Yup.  Otoh: currently R stuff is mainly maintained within debian-science and
debian-med.  Scaling benefits are there; I don't think moving to a new debian-r
would improve stuff _that_ much.

Also, R packages is not exactly dh-r.  Having all R packages semi-centrally
maintained would be nice.  I am not quite sure wether having dh-r in the same
group would bring very huge benefits.

Bye,

Joost