Re: Debhelper for R packages

On 07/10/16 15:33, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 7 October 2016 at 15:09, Andreas Tille wrote:
> | I'm fine with these changes.  If you want to let this propagate to all
> | R+BioConductor packages probably a lintian warning makes sense.  May be
>
> Really?  We don't have an officially sanctioned policy that _mandates_ this.
>
> We are about giving people options.

In the CRAN case at least, it is what the CRAN page suggests as the
canonical URL if you use a different variant, so it's probably good
practice - but the correct homepage link is a fairly trivial issue to
get too prescriptive about.

Note that this only applies if you use the `dh-make-R` script to
generate a fresh debianisation - just using the debhelper module does
not make any changes to d/control (except for generating substvars which
can be used in place of hardcoded lists).

You could generate a whole lot of extra substvars (eg, ${R:Homepage}) to
ensure the canonical versions are used, but I'm not really convinced
it's useful.

> | I'd prefer the repository on git.debian.org.
>
> Sure, and some people prefer GitHub or Gitlab or their own git server.
> Different strokes for different folks.

They should in any case be in sync, providing I remember to keep them
so. The Vcs-Url in d/control will remain the git.debian.org one.

(I am still hoping for a debian-blessed gitlab/pagure/whatever - but
this is probably not a discussion for this list).