Re: R package CI test failures

Hi Gordon,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 01:29:50PM +0200, Gordon Ball wrote:
> > I confirm that if you use the script for CI *only* this would work
> > nicely.  However, I consider it a good idea to provide the user with
> > some test case / example use and thus I always put the script into
> > /usr/share/doc/<pkgname> where grep-dctrl does not work.  On the other
> > hand I could check the directory name if all other means to calculate
> > the package name might fail.
>
> I hadn't considered other uses. However, there is maybe the possibility
> of instead including a generic template and inserting the correct values
> (determined as above) at build time?

In principle yes.

> However, since this would require modifying all the d/rules files, it is
> maybe too much engineering to squash a few copy-paste bugs which are
> mostly now fixed - to be added to the wishlist for debhelper-R?

Could be nice feature but I'd regard this low priority as you said since
most cut-n-pastos are eliminated.

> > Yes.
>
> Of the original list, I cound 24 (8 bioconductor and 16 cran) packages
> now passing (on amd64 - most are still marked failed on arm64 but I
> think that is just that the tests haven't re-run yet). Thanks to those
> that committed fixes and uploaded.

I'm observing Debian Med team QA page[1] regarding these issues daily
since the tests seem to run daily and I squashed some more this morning
which either were not fully fixed or for whatever reason they were
missing on the list or I was not reading the list thoroughly.  For the
BioConductor problems I'd regard real problems I've contacted upstream
(and I think I CCed you).

> >> I'll have a better look at the "?" ones.
> >

> Etiquette question - for packages in debian-science git requiring
> trivial changes (eg, a missing package in debian/tests/control), is the
> preferred course to just go ahead and commit the fix?

As far as I understand commiting the fix to VCS is really welcome - even
doing a team upload is fine.  For those packages I'm Uploader I'd be
really happy about any upload that fixes a problem. :-)

[1] https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=debian-med-packaging%40lists.alioth.debian.org