Re: Sponsor upload needed for fix to package frog

Hi Mattia,

> > I have updated the frog package to require libfolia 1.4, as well as libicu-dev >= 57.
>
> erm, why?
> especially, why bumping the icu version like that? (and also libfolia's)
>
> > This should fix the reported issue (no new upstream version).
>
> What you are doing that way is just rebuilding the package so it picks
> up the new ABI.
> There is even no need for any kind of edit.

Hmmm... ok... I thought it would trigger a rebuild of the package against
the latest ABI  (libfolia 1.4 instead of 1.3) and that that would make
everything well again..

> > If you
> > have tips to prevent such ABI breakage in the future then those would be very
> > welcome, I think the current fix will work but I suppose it should have been
> > prevented in libfolia already.
>
> What you are proposing is really not a fix, and the release team would
> just tell you to fix libfolia by bumping soname and doing a transition.

> The tip I can tell you is to start tracking symbols using a .symbol file
> (see dpkg-gensymbols, etc).  It can be painful if upstream is not doing
> things cleneanly, and it's painful even there.

Ok, so let me try to get this straight, I've never done this before:

* First, don't we have a problem now the transition freeze deadline has passed then?
* We bump the soname version in libfolia upstream to 5.0.0 (was: 4.0.0)  [I'm not sure
  what the versioning scheme/convention here is and don't really like that we're in such
  high numbers already compared to the actual software version]
* We release upstream and update the debian package
* I bump the libfolia4 package to libfolia5 (and adapt libfolia5.install accordingly )
  and make libfolia-dev depend on libfolia5 instead of libfolia4
* I add a symbols file to libfolia with dpkg-gensymbols to make things easier for the future
* Considering the only packages relying on libfolia, both in debian but also in
  general, are our own (ucto & frog), can't I just
  release the new libfolia package along with a new ucto and frog package that
  depend on it and forego on any transitions? (also considering the freeze).

Does this sound right?

Regards,

--

Maarten van Gompel
    Centre for Language Studies

proycon@anaproy.nl
http://proycon.anaproy.nl
http://github.com/proycon

GnuPG key:  0x1A31555C
XMPP: proycon@anaproy.nl  Matrix: @proycon:anaproy.nl
Telegram:   proycon       IRC: proycon (freenode)
Twitter:    https://twitter.com/proycon
Bitcoin:    1BRptZsKQtqRGSZ5qKbX2azbfiygHxJPsd