Question about distributed FS for high-performance I/O [debian-hpc]

Hi all,

I have asked a question a few days back on debian-hpc. Since the mailing list (debian-hpc) is very young and currently has only 17 members I guess that having no answer so far mean I'll get no answer in reasonable time. Maybe someone(s) on this list has some information that is pertinent on the question ?

The original post is here :
https://lists.debian.org/debian-hpc/2016/01/msg00000.html

Thank you in advance for any help !

Serge.

Here is the content :

Dear list,

I am looking for a distributed FS for high-performance I/O (not high availability) that is well suited to be both served by debian systems and on which it is easy to have debian clients. The clients of the FS will be performing scientific computation which are often I/O bound (few large files, rather than many small files/DB like)

A single file is in the range of 100s of MB to 100s of GB. Datasets can be going up to a few TB (eg. 10 files of 200GB each).
The computation is embarrassingly parallel but mostly I/O bound (one of the typical problem is related to transposition of arrays of 100GB size, each element being a few kB).

I am in a small lab, we already have some (or all) of the hardware :
1 HP RAID arrays in fibre-channel and SAS,
3 servers for OSS + MDS types
an infiniband fabric
2 extra servers on the fabric for computations and as «NAS head» for the rest of the network (partly 10GbE) for serving to client running unsupported OS/fabric.

Initially this system was supposed to run Lustre as FS, but since the support never went into stable and now is not even into unstable anymore it is no more an option given our limited resources in term of sys-admin and related activities.

One option I have recently seen is BeeGFS, and it seems a reasonable solution… but the documentation is sparse and there seems to be not that many users already.

Is there a plan for Lustre to be back into stable distribution, do any of you have experience with BeeGFS (ex. FraunhoferGFS/FhGFS). Or do some of you have better (or even interesting) experience with other solutions ?

Thanks in advance for any comments/help/pointers.

Sincerily,

Serge.

PS : We are using Debian for both servers and clients, and it is not an option for us to be using another system or distribution.