Re: Dropping astronomy and astronomy-dev from debian-science

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> you might like consider to simply add the according metapackages
> to the Debian Science tasks.  I think from an advertising point of
> view it would be not the best idea to drop Astronomy from Science.

While I think it would be a good idea to keep debian-science "clean"
(and not to add the 14 debian-astro metapackages to debian-science): how
is this done technically? A good use for me would be to establish a link
between astronomy-education and education-astronomy; there is no reason
why they should be different.

A compromise could be to add one metapackage "astronomy" that depends on
the debian-astro metapackages; this way we would have a hierarchical
structure -- but I am afraid this is not supported by tasksel, right?

> A (very long - close to 10 years) planned feature of the Blends web
> sentinel is to "resolve" such dependencies on the web pages.  The good
> news is that with the rewrite of the web sentinel to use UDD exclusively
> this feature is way more easy to implement.

I do not fully understand this. I could imagine that it would be nice to
have a link to debian-astro (as well as to debichem and debian-med) on
the debian-science blends page (and links to their metapackages on the
metapackage list of debian-science). Do you mean this? Couldn't we do it
just (semi-)manually? Debian-science seems to be a special case as it
can be seen also as a "parent" to other blends.

Best regards

Ole