Re: netcdf parallel

Thanks Bas for the explanations.

 #708638.

Aha, I didn't know about this report. I've just subscribed and will continue to offer my help with this.

Cheers,
Nico

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 11:23 PM Sebastiaan Couwenberg <sebastic@xs4all.nl> wrote:
On 05-11-15 22:50, Nico Schlömer wrote:
> Ah yes, it will certainly be some work. I was under the impression that
> HDF5 has already paved the way for us, but perhaps that judgement is a
> little optimistic. I wish there was some sort of generic framework for
> dealing with this since I have a couple of other projects for which it
> would make sense to have them in serial and parallel.

The hdf5 package patches the autotools buildsystem to include the flavor
(serial|openmpi|mpich2) in the library names, and libtool takes care of
the rest. We need to reimplement that for the netcdf CMake build system.
I'm tempted to not append the flavor to the non-mpi library, to not need
patches for all reverse dependencies that don't use the mpi variant.

The dh overrides will include additional dh_auto_* calls for the mpi
flavors, using their own build directories and configure options.

> Anyhow. Although I'm not firm enough in patching the build system, I'd be
> more than happy to help out getting netcdf ready for parallel.

Your help testing is much appreciated, I have no need for MPI netcdf
myself so I'm only going to work on it to fix #708638. It would be nice
to have the MPI variants available by the time 4.4.0 final is released,
but I'm not making any promises.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
 GPG Key ID: 4096R/6750F10AE88D4AF1
Fingerprint: 8182 DE41 7056 408D 6146  50D1 6750 F10A E88D 4AF1