Re: r-cran-vcdextra package

Hi Jonathon,

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:11:55PM +0200, Jonathon Love wrote:
> hi andreas,
>
> > For Debian Science please refer to the Wiki page where I maintain
> > Sponsering of Blends[1].  Please add an entry at the end of this table
> > once the package shows up on one of the Debian Science pages (I'd like
> > to enforce this to make sure that maintainers care for a good user
> > overview).  I actually added r-cran-vcdextra to the statistics task so
> > you simply need to wait until the cron jobs have fetched your packaging
> > to get the metainformation.
>
> so if i understand correctly, i'm waiting for them to appear here:
>
> http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/statistics
>
> which will presumably take 24 hours.

I admit I'm fine if you use

   http://blends.debian.org/science/tasks/statistics#r-cran-vcdextra

as link even if it is not arrived there.  I just wanted to make you
aware of the requirement that if you want to add a package it should be
injected into the Debian Science tasks.  The remark about the delay was
just for your information why it is not yet there. (I'm not totally
nitpicking ;-))

> >  However, when doing so I wonder whather the
> > packages r-cran-vcd and r-cran-vcdextra should not better be placed in
> > viewing or viewing-dev.  Please comment on this according to your
> > opinion.
>
> i think they provide more than just "viewing" type functionality, so i
> think they probably belong in /statistics/.

OK, thanks for confirming.

> > Moreover if you want to submit a new package in any case you need to
> > create an ITP bug report.  You can do so by
> >
> >     reportbug --no-query-bts wnpp
> >
> > Please do so and do not forget to CC the Debian Science mailing list.
>
> [assuming this is a command that i execute at the terminal on alioth
> (which may not be a correct assumption)] this doesn't seem to work. i
> get a "command not found".

No, reportbug is on your local machine and I really hate the fact that
it is obviously so badly advertised that even people who try to develop
packages are not aware of it.  Please make sure reportbug is installed
on your machine and use it for any bug you might detect - and also for
this ITP bug.

> > Regarding the packaging itself:
> >
> >   1. d/watch is missing (see any other R package for a working
> >      example
> >   2. d/control: Line breaks in long description
> >      The easiest way to deal with this is to use
> >         cme fix dpkg-control
> >   3. d/copyright: License: GPL-2+ should be a separate paragraph
>
> fixes are committed.
>
> thanks for your help, and thanks for your patience.

I think patience with newcomers is one of the most underestimated
things in the Debian universe.

Further remarks to the package:  The repository is lacking upstream
and pristine-tar branch.  Please see policy (I'm not that familiar
whether its described ion detail in Debian Science policy - if in
doubt check Debian Med policy) how to make sure you create and push
these branches correctly.

One more thiing before you ITP:  The short description should form
a sentence by

  The package <packagename> is a <shortdescription>.

So your capital 'A' in the beginning should be removed (you would
get this feedback for you ITP if it would be in there ;-))

I used the chance to update the r-cran-vcd package.  I'd be fine if you
take over this package as additional uploader in the Debian Science
team.  If you prefer Git over SVN I'm fine to migrate the package from
SVN to Git.