Re: Opinions: Debian for (bio)process engineering?

Hi Markos

(Etiquette wise: should this thread go off-line?)

This is excellent, thank you!

Do you know any mailing list to discuss these issues in an integrated manner?

> A place to discuss "Water in an Integrated Approach" including topics like quality monitoring with free software and open hardware using the DIY philosophy, as tools to projects like
Wastewater Biorefineries.

Short answer: No. There's been attempts, as part of 'integrated water management' (IWM) or integrated water resource management (IWRM), and circular economy, and industrial ecology ... but it seems the furthest they get is by inventing another buzzphrase.

The little that exists is very academic.

After DebConf, I'm going to this conference by the International Water Association (IWA), it's their first one specifically focused on resource recovery: http://iwarr2015.org/

There is another related one on Biorefineries, their focus is mostly biomass though, not water: http://rrbconference.org/

But the challenge is the ability to talk across disciplines. (Natural and life) scientists don't talk with (chemical and civil) engineers don't talk with (IT) developers don't talk to the public, academics and industry (applied) don't talk well etc etc etc, so you struggle to get integrated solutions. I have pretty much made this my life's work to get people from across fields and the general public to talk - my whole reason, in a way, for being involved with DebConf16.

So looking at what you are doing, this is good. But there is a long road ahead.

regards
Bernelle