Re: Sagemath: going further

Am 03.02.2015 um 21:09 schrieb Julien Puydt:
> Hi,
>
> Le 03/02/2015 17:25, Tobias Hansen a écrit :
>> Hi Julien,
>>
>> I like that the patch is still quite small. Are you aware of the similar
>> patches Fedora is using?
>> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/sagemath.git/tree/
>
> No... perhaps I should have a look.

The sagemath.spec is also interesting. It has short comments for the
patches, lists the build and runtime dependencies etc.

>> I'll see if I get around to setting up a packaging git repo where the
>> sage repo is included as a git submodule and your patch is applied via
>> quilt. I think that way the packaging can be handled quite nicely. What
>> do you think? I just need you to put the commands for building into
>> debian/rules then. (Or if you want you can also set up everything.)
>
> I don't feel confortable with packaging sage myself, so my goal is to
> grease things around so when someone gets to that work, things will go
> smoothly.

This is not about packaging, it's about doing things in git. For
example, I applied your patch and ran 'make'. It starts to download and
build patch, pkgconfig, bzip2. Now I think: these should be taken from
Debian, am I doing something wrong or is it supposed to be like that? I
have to ask you. If there's a debian rules build target I know that I'm
building with the same command as you.

I created the repository at

http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/sagemath.git/

There are some useful commands mentioned in debian/README.Debian

Please consider using it (updating the patch) and putting the build
command into debian/rules (is it just make?)

Again I'm not even considering letting this produce a Sage package yet,
and even if we do, it can't do any harm unless it's uploaded to Debian.

>> For the moment I just want to have this to have the things you do
>> (install build dependencies, patch (the correct upstream commit of)
>> sage, build, test) easily reproducable by everyone. Putting sage itself
>> into packages is not so important just yet.
>>
>> Are you working on unstable or testing? I guess we can start with sage
>> 6.5.rc0?
>
> I'm using unstable, and sage-6.5.rc0, but I'm moving forward with their
> versions.

The git submodule is perfect for moving forward with the versions,
without having any interference between their and our commits.

Best,
Tobias