Re: Fwd: Sage/SIngular: static vs dynamic

Hello Bernhard,

On 03/01/15 09:14, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> * Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> [150102 19:26]:
>> I am currently packaging Singular (the real target being Sage); I am finalizing.
>> Note that I am not familiar with this particular CAS.
>
> Are you starting from scratch or are you building on top of
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/singular.git/ ?

I am starting from scratch. Nevertheless, I keep an eye on the GIT
to avoid unnecessary discontinuity.

My material will deposit there once it is decent.

>> I have just realised that the Singular CLI is built static (by default):
>> I am very surprised because I expected a (regular) dynamic built.
>>
>> Does anyone know the reasons for building a static version rather than a dynamic
>> version of the Singular CLI ?
>> May Debian provide both ?
>
> Linking binaries against other libraries from other sources should usually be
> dynamic (unless there is a good reason for the opposite). Linking
> against libraries from the same source does not really matter.
>
> Producing libraries gets more complicated. (And AFAIR sage actually
> needs a dynamic library of singular).

Agree.
Nonetheless, in the current upstream source, it is explicitly built static.

Never mind, it will come dynamic for Debian.

Cheers,
Jerome