Re: Fwd: Sage/SIngular: static vs dynamic

* Jerome BENOIT <g6299304p@rezozer.net> [150102 19:26]:
> I am currently packaging Singular (the real target being Sage); I am finalizing.
> Note that I am not familiar with this particular CAS.

Are you starting from scratch or are you building on top of
http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-science/packages/singular.git/ ?

> I have just realised that the Singular CLI is built static (by default):
> I am very surprised because I expected a (regular) dynamic built.
>
> Does anyone know the reasons for building a static version rather than a dynamic
> version of the Singular CLI ?
> May Debian provide both ?

Linking binaries against other libraries from other sources should usually be
dynamic (unless there is a good reason for the opposite). Linking
against libraries from the same source does not really matter.

Producing libraries gets more complicated. (And AFAIR sage actually
needs a dynamic library of singular).

	Bernhard R. Link
--
F8AC 04D5 0B9B 064B 3383  C3DA AFFC 96D1 151D FFDC