Best practice for packaging a development snapshot from upstream

Hi everyone,

A while back, I packaged a library (NFFT) via the regular process of downloading the latest tarball, committing it with pristine-tar and hacking my way to get a package to build with gbp. Upstream has since moved the latest development version to Github but has yet to tag anything for a release. However, I'd like to take a head start and build a package from the current tip of the upstream development branch. If successful, the next step would be to upload to experimental.

What's the best way to achieve this workflow. Can I somehow instruct gbp to build from an upstream branch instead of relying on an official tarball ?

Cheers,
- Ghis