RE:Pkg config lintian error

> I admit that it is a bit hard to tell without seeing the whole picture.
> If you want to maintain the package in Debian Science team anyway why
> not simply commiting it to Debian Science Git and enable to reproduce
> other members the full build process?

Hello I think that Valerio is preparing the upstream sources for the latest version.
A package is already available in the git repository of debian-science.

the error message is indeed dur to the CFLAGS used to build crystfel
This is an usuala mis understanding of the purpose of the .pc file.

Now you just need to put in this file, the parameters requieres to build and link to your library.

pkg-config provide also a interface to deal with private libraries not exposed by your libraries.
It is well explain in the pkg-config manual

       Requires.private:
              A  list  of packages required by this package. The difference from Requires is that the packages listed under
              Requires.private are not taken into account when a flag list is computed for  dynamically  linked  executable
              (i.e.,  when  --static  was  not  specified).  In the situation where each .pc file corresponds to a library,
              Requires.private shall be used exclusively to specify the dependencies between the libraries.

       Libs.private:
              This  line  should  list any private libraries in use.  Private libraries are libraries which are not exposed
              through your library, but are needed in the case of static linking. This  differs  from  Requires.private  in
              that it references libraries that do not have package files installed.

You should look carefully to your .h and see which library are exposed or not.
then you can decide what to put under
Requieres, Requires.private etc...

cheers

Frederic