Re: Pkg config lintian error

On 28.07.2014 13:53, Andreas Tille wrote:
I made a lot of
progress, mainly with the help of Frederic-Emmanuel PICCA. I am now
stumbling on a pkgconfig error, but I don't understand where it
comes from, so I am turning to you for help.

The crystfel.pc file is like this:

---Start ---
prefix=@prefix@
exec_prefix=@exec_prefix@
libdir=@libdir@
includedir=@includedir@

Name: CrystFEL
Version: @VERSION@
Cflags: -I${includedir} @LIBCRYSTFEL_CFLAGS@
Libs: -L${libdir} -lcrystfel @LIBCRYSTFEL_LIBS@
--- End ---

After the subtitutions are carried out, this is what I get:

---Start ---
prefix=/data/Software/crystfel/stage
This prefix looks suspicious to me.  Is this something that
is created by using untweaked dh_auto_configure ?
No sorry to everyone. I just took the subtituted pkgconfig file from my working directory. This prefix that you see is my local working copy location.....

exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include

Name: CrystFEL
Version: 0.5.3a
Cflags: -I${includedir} -g -O2
Libs: -L${libdir} -lcrystfel  -lutil -lhdf5 -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm -lfftw3
--- End ---

Unfortunately, lintian gives me this error:

E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4
N:
N:    The pkg-config file contains a wrong directive.
N:
N:    The following file includes a wrong directive. This could lead
to FTBFS
N:    or leak private compile flags to another package.
N:
N:    Severity: serious, Certainty: possible
N:
N:    Check: files, Type: binary, udeb
N:
E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -fstack-protector
E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -O2
E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -Werror=format-security
E: crystfel-dev: pkg-config-bad-directive
usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/crystfel.pc -g

But I don't understand exactly what is going on. And I can't find a
clear documentation of this Lintian error message. The only thing
that comes to my mind is this:

Which basically says that the file should be in /usr/lib/pkgconfig
and not in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkgconfig/. Is this the source of
the error?
I admit that it is a bit hard to tell without seeing the whole picture.
If you want to maintain the package in Debian Science team anyway why
not simply commiting it to Debian Science Git and enable to reproduce
other members the full build process?

These are the errors that were sent to me by my mentor Frederic. I am just learning at this very moment to use gpb and I was not yet able to run lintian on the generated package. I get these errors:

E: crystfel changes: bad-distribution-in-changes-file unstable
W: crystfel source: package-needs-versioned-debhelper-build-depends 9
gbp:error: Couldn't run 'lintian $GBP_CHANGES_FILE': lintian $GBP_CHANGES_FILE returned 1

But that is another story, and I am working on it now. It is not clear to me if $GPB_CHANGES_FILE is exported by gpb or not...

My mentor Frederic already uploaded the package, it is here:

git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/crystfel.git

I already requested to join the debian science group and I am waiting for approval. For now I can pull anonymously but cannot push....

Thank you everyone for  your help

  Valerio