Re: pyfftw: renaming of built packages from python-fftw3-* to python-pyfftw-*

On Tue, 2014-05-27 at 07:48 +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> On Thu, 2014-05-22 at 07:51 +0100, Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > On afterthoughts, I believe the naming of the packages built from the
> > pyfftw source package that I personally maintain should be changed.
> > The package only entered the main archive recently, so I am expecting
> > this change not to impact users too much.
> >
> > Main reasons for the renaming are the following, by order of
> > importance:
> > - to respect section 3.3 of the Debian Python Policy, regarding
> > "Module Package Names"
> >
> > "The binary package for module foo should preferably be named
> > python-foo "
> >
> > - confusion with the existing python-fftw package
> > - the -fftw3 suffix is meaningless, should the FFTW lib move to
> > version 4 in the future
> > - the -fftw3 suffix could be useful to FFTW, should upstream decide to
> > provide their own Python wrappers in the future
> >
> > Please let me know the best approach to deal with this. I will correct
> > this too for pyNFFT, which is not yet packaged. Sorry for the newbie
> > mistake.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Ghislain
>
> Answering my own question, the procedure for renaming a package is
> described in section 5.9 of the developer's reference
> (https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#s5.9.3) .

I have followed the instructions in section 5.9, which were to use a
provides/conflicts/replaces on the package name. As a result:

Package: python-fftw3
Architecture: any
Depends:
 ${misc:Depends},
 ${python:Depends},
 ${shlibs:Depends},
 libfftw3-double3,
 libfftw3-long3,
 libfftw3-single3,
 python-numpy

Now becomes:

Package: python-pyfftw
Architecture: any
Depends:
 ${misc:Depends},
 ${python:Depends},
 ${shlibs:Depends},
 libfftw3-double3,
 libfftw3-long3,
 libfftw3-single3,
 python-numpy
Provides: python-fftw3
Conflicts: python-fftw3
Replaces: python-fftw3

And indeed dpkg handles the upgrade well:

sudo dpkg -i python-pyfftw_0.9.2+dfsg-2_amd64.deb
Selecting previously unselected package python-pyfftw.
dpkg: considering removing python-fftw3 in favour of python-pyfftw ...
dpkg: yes, will remove python-fftw3 in favour of python-pyfftw
(Reading database ... 160425 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack python-pyfftw_0.9.2+dfsg-2_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking python-pyfftw (0.9.2+dfsg-2) ...
Setting up python-pyfftw (0.9.2+dfsg-2) ...

However, I am hitting a wall with the corresponding -debug package,
which I modified the same way:

Package: python-pyfftw-dbg
Architecture: any
Section: debug
Depends:
 ${misc:Depends},
 ${python:Depends},
 ${shlibs:Depends},
 python-pyfftw (= ${binary:Version})
Recommends:
 python-dbg,
 python-numpy-dbg
Provides: python-fftw3-dbg
Conflicts: python-fftw3-dbg
Replaces: python-fftw3-dbg

But dpkg fails to perform the upgrade, probably because of the versioned
dependency on python-pyfftw.

I tried the following modification on Depends:
 python-pyfftw (= ${binary:Version}) | python-fftw3 (<< 0.9.2+dfsg-2)

After this, dpkg can upgrade the debug package but fails to upgrade the
python package. A second call to dpkg configures both packages
correctly.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks,

Ghis