Re: wxAstroCapture / Astronomy working group

Hi Peter,

Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@googlemail.com> writes:
>>> (b) Bundle the generated Makefile with the Debian
>>> (c) Include the generated Makefile in the upstream repository
>>
>> This is not possible since then you dont build the package from the
>> sources, but from some pre-generated file. It would sooner or later lead
>> to a bug report about this fact.
>>
>> This is comparable to the requirement to rebuild the "configure" file
>> from the configure.ac & Co. sources [1]
>
> Neither of these options seemed ideal, although I can imagine
> the upstream project could automate updating the Makefile to
> avoid this (e.g. as part of a release script, a git hook, or similar).

The point here is that Debian requires to compile the code from the
source. If the Makefile is generated, it is not source, even if it is
part of the source distribution.

>> (f) Another way would be to convince the codeblocks developer to include a
>>     command line tool for building. Codeblocks is already in Debian [2].
>
> I should have looked into that:
> http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Code::Blocks_command_line_arguments
>
> It does seem to require X Windows running (i.e. doesn't work in
> headless mode), but I can do something like this for the Unix
> release build target:

I found some older forum post [1], where they claim to have some sort of
patch. Maybe, this patch is already in codeblocks?

This problem would probably also best discussed on the Debian-mentor's
mailing list [2]. I could imagine that there is already some solution
for this,

> Would that be acceptable in a Debian package? I don't like the fact it
> can't be built with codeblocks without X running, but on the other
> hand this is a graphical tool so the user will need X at some point.

It will not be accepted, since the standard build environment is without
X. You probably could setup an X server, and redirect the output to it;
however this doesn't sound very simple to do. Better ask on
Debian-mentors first. Depending on the output, it may help to discuss
this with the code::blocks people to find the best solution here.

Best regards

Ole

[1] http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=8652.5
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/