Re: wxAstroCapture / Astronomy working group

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Debian-Science,
>
> I'm currently at the Debian Sprint in Stonehaven, along with
> Steffen Möller, Andreas Tille and
> others:https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/Meeting/Aberdeen2014
>
> The group here is mostly biology orientated, but I happened
> to asked Andreas about astronomy related packages and he
> directed me here, and to this thread last month:
>
> "Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group"
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2014/01/msg00044.html
>
> I was wondering if anyone would be interested in packaging
> (or at least helping to package) the Linux/Windows astronomy
> image capture tool wxAstroCapture, which has recently been
> released as an open source project:
>
> https://github.com/wxAstro/wxAstroCapture
> http://arnholm.org/astro/software/wxAstroCapture/
>
> This was previously a closed source but freely available
> project by Martin Burri and Carsten Arnholm, and is now
> provisionally under the GPL v2+ (although bundling some
> library code under other open source licences). Licence
> review from Debian packagers would be useful too.
>
> The code is C++ using wxWidgets for the GUI, with some
> fairly low level code for talking to USB web cameras.
>
> Is anyone interested?

I've got wxAstroCapture building for me on 64bit Ubuntu
and on an Raspberry Pi (ARM running Raspbian), using
standard Debian based packages for dependencies, so
a standard Debian package should be possible:

However, currently the build system is defined using a
codeblocks configuration file, which I was able to convert
into a traditional Makefile using cbp2make:
http://cbp2make.sourceforge.net

Currently cbp2make isn't in Debian (as far as a I know),
but even if it was, what would be the preferred setup?

(a) Define cbp2make (or similar) as a build dependency
and generate the Makefile at compile time?

(b) Bundle the generated Makefile with the Debian
package (meaning the Debian package maintainer
would refresh the Makefile when updating the
package).

(c) Include the generated Makefile in the upstream
repository (which must be manually refreshed when
the codeblocks file changes)

(d) Some other option?

(If this kind of situation is covered somewhere in
the Debian documentation, please point me at a
URL to read.)

Thanks,

Peter