Re: Request for Ideas - Astronomy working group

Hi Thibaut,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 03:31:20PM +0100, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> Le 10/01/2014 11:27, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > Hi Ole,
> >
> > at first thanks for all your great work on astronomy packages.
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:41:42PM +0100, Ole Streicher wrote:
> >> Dear all (astrophysicists, amateurs, scientists, other),
> >>
> >> there are now quite some people around that are interested in using
> >> Debian for astronomy related tasks. It may be a good idea if we could
> >> somehow bring us together and see where we can coordinate our efforts.
> >
> > +1
>
> Hi,
>
> I would very much support the creation of an Astronomy working group,
> but I am not quite sure how we would actually use an Alioth project and
> mailing list, especially if the packaging remains under debian-science
> umbrella which seems the right thing to me.

IMHO there is no reason to desperately rush away from debian-science
umbrella.  However, as I explained in my lengthy mail I would regard a
separate project on Alioth as a lower entrance barrier for outsiders
from derived distributions.  You could move astronomy packages slowly in
the next series of uploads quite relaxed.

> Well, perhaps we should just give it a try :-)

As I said I would support this (not only in terms of words but also
with sponsering if needed).