Re: Crystallography packages

Hi Andreas,

And happy new year!

> when trying my luck with putting Debian Science packages into tasks (see
> [1]) I stumbled upon python-fabio.  This was by chance because I was
> seeking for
>
>    apt-cache search cbf
>
> since I wanted to make some sense of cbflib-bin which deals with CBF
> files (which I do not know personally).  It seems both packages are
> about crystallography and I would be really happy if the maintainers (in
> CC would come up with some reasonable suggestion in what task(s) the
> packages should be mentioned.

I am the upstream maintainer of FabIO (occasionally developer but the
library is mature). I am doing a bit of debian packaging mainly for
ESRF (my employer) purposes, because we need it.

CBF is one of many format supported bu FabIO and the CBF implementation
of FabIO is not based on libCBF but on my own code (starting from the spec
of CBF, availble from IUCr).

> Moreover I noticed that python-fabio is not yet maintained by any
> team and in a repository outside of anonscm.debian.org.  Would you
> consider moving this package under team maintenance?

This repository has been set-up for ESRF needs to provide debian
binaries for squeeze (and soon wheezy). I don't mind moving the
repository if I am not enforced to break the compatibility with squeeze.
The other issue is purely technical: how do I create an account there ?

Cheers,
--
Jérôme Kieffer
Data analysis unit - ESRF