Re: Looking for a sponsor for some robotics related packages

gladky.anton@gmail.com writes:

> Why do you have this line in all debian/rules?
> ".PHONY: override_dh_auto_clean override_dh_strip"

debian/rules is a Makefile. override_dh_auto_clean is declared as a
target with no prerequisites, so normally if there exists a file called
'override_dh_auto_clean', Make will see this file as being up-to-date,
and the corresponding recipe will NOT be executed. .PHONY is used to
tell Make that these rules don't build real files, thus their targets
are never up-to-date and their recipes always run.

This only matters if there's a file such as 'override_dh_auto_clean' in
the build directory, which is pretty much never the case. In fact I've
never seen a debian/rules file that is careful about this. Can't hurt,
though.

See http://www.gnu.org/software/make/manual/html_node/Phony-Targets.html