Re: Aw: Xeon Phi

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013 09:50:53 +0100 (CET)
"Steffen Möller" <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:

> This would be nice, indeed. I am using the NVidia packages of Debian a lot
> and like them. And the Phi is long on my wishlist.

For the time being it is the same for me ... but the code from intel
looks so much opened in comparison with nvidia's driver; but also needs
a lot more of polish.

> The mean thing about it: it means tons of work and I do not see that much
> of it can be shared between us as a community. Is there a way to have
> folks at Intel interested in Debian packaging?

They provide support for RHEL and Suse ... I did not make any request
yet in that direction on their forum.

> What also came to mind was to have a Debian-run machine equipped with
> a Phi that a packaging team could possibly share. This would then save
> possibly save us from many redundant builds of that GB of source code
> you outlined above.

Maybe we have to convince Intel to offer such card to Debian because it
is quite expensive. If they really want to enter the market they need
either to make cheap MICs (a $100 GPU allows to test Cuda but
MIC-boards are all above $2000) or provide decent packages or help
communities.

--
Jérôme Kieffer
tel +33 476 882 445