Aw: Xeon Phi

Hello,

> I was wondering if there is a motivation to package the driver & its
> software suite for the Xeon Phi:

This would be nice, indeed. I am using the NVidia packages of Debian a lot
and like them. And the Phi is long on my wishlist.

> This represents more or less 1GB of source code, more than 200MB of
> rpms, which are often installed using alien (according to what I found
> on the web)
>
> I think it would be interesting to have this in Debian, I will build
> "something" that can be installed on debian (probably 7) but if other
> are interested, we could envisage to make the MPSS (Manycore Platform
> Software Stack) available offically for debian which would be a bit
> like the SPE of the playstation3/cell processor.

The mean thing about it: it means tons of work and I do not see that much
of it can be shared between us as a community. Is there a way to have
folks at Intel interested in Debian packaging?

What also came to mind was to have a Debian-run machine equipped with
a Phi that a packaging team could possibly share. This would then save
possibly save us from many redundant builds of that GB of source code
you outlined above.

If we could do such a shared-machine [cloud-like] packaging for Phi, then
I would be curious if such a model would also be beneficial for other large
source trees like e.g. KDE or LibreOffice.

In a back-to-the-roots-mode

Steffen