Re: Proposal: Add blas.pc, lapack.pc pkg-config files for blas, atlas

On 18/11/2013 18:18, Sébastien Villemot wrote:
> Le lundi 18 novembre 2013 à 12:50 +0000, Alastair McKinstry a écrit :
>
>> For atlas, I propose to provide atlas.pc with blas.pc being an
>> alternatives symlink to it.
> I don't understand what you want to achieve there. ATLAS basically ships
> two libraries:
>
> - one is a variant of libblas.so.3, which is interchangeable (ABI
> compatible, /etc/alternatives-managed) with those provided by libblas3
> and libopenblas-base; it does not make sense to provide a separate .pc
> for that one, since you link against it using -lblas, and the blas.pc
> coming from libblas-dev will be installed anyways (because of
> dependencies)
Ok, I didn't realise that libatlas-dev depended on libblas-dev and hence
pulled in cblas.h
from it.  I thought that you would need
$ pkg-config --cflags blas
-I/usr/include/atlas
to build against blas from atlas.

In this particular case (Debian) I agree it makes little difference, but
I wish to do it  for the larger
case, including proprietary cases using Intel MKL (such as where I work);
I want to be able to do pkg-config detection within configure scripts,
makefiles, etc. with blas.pc
aliasing the preferred blas implementation on a system (perhaps with
PKG_CONFIG_PATH set).

> - the other is libatlas.so: it perferctly makes sense to provide a
> distinct atlas.pc for that one, but it should be a distinct file,
> totally independent of blas.pc.

Yes.

regards
Alastair

--
Alastair McKinstry  , <alastair@sceal.ie> , <mckinstry@debian.org>  http://diaspora.sceal.ie/u/amckinstry
Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world