Re: RFP: levmar -- Levenberg-Marquardt nonlinear least squares algorithms in C/C++

Hi all,

On Tue, 8 Oct 2013 05:56:14 Teemu Ikonen wrote:
[...]
> All included code is from an older version than the latest levmar-2.6, so
> making levmar useful in Debian would require a considerable amount of
> forward porting and fixing of upstream sources. On the other hand, having
> the same code in six source packages is already a pretty bad case of
> duplication.

When I looked at levmar a few years ago I had the distinct impression that its
authors really wanted it to be statically linked. The result of that is the
multitude of different (patched) versions of levmar that you see embedded in
different projects. There's a lot of work to do to convince the upstreams of
freemat, hugin, meshlab, sextractor, starlink-ast, stimfit and teem that they
want to work with a non-patched and up-to-date levmar instead of just
continuing with their own versions.

Levmar upstream does have some support for building a shared object but I
didn't feel confident that sovers would be properly managed and I didn't want
to take on that responsibility myself which is why I abandoned my previous
efforts with levmar too.

(just an added data point for anyone thinking of taking up packaging levmar)

cheers
Stuart

--
Stuart Prescott    http://www.nanonanonano.net/   stuart@nanonanonano.net