Re: Please check Debian Science robotics tasks (Was: [SCM] choreonoid branch, master, updated. ...)

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 04:08:45PM +0900, Thomas Moulard wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
> I checked out the repository to make some modifications and I have a
> couple of questions:

Thanks for checking!  Those sanity checks are really welcome.

> 1. Should the WNPP field be removed when the package get into Debian
> (see morse-simulator)?

Yes.  The job that renders the web sentinel is creating some log file
that issues a warning about data that can be deleted and I'm working
down this from time to time.  It simply does not scale for me personally
if I try to follow any new upload closely because it finally does not
harm if the data remain there.  They will be ignored if the package is
uploaded.

> 2. I think that some packages are too general to be there: Boost,
> Gnuplot, Octave, etc.
> What about removing them from the list?

As I said I'm no robotics expert and I will not raise any opinion here.
Somebody had injected them in the first place (may be browsing SVN log
might uncover who it actually did - I hope it was not me on request of
somebody which hides the origin).  As an alternative it might be
possible to simply "Suggest" these packages which might be a reasonable
compromise.

> 3. What is then the best way to contribute? Should I commit myself or
> should I send the patch to you
> (or the mailing-list)?

Any DD has commit permissions and non-DDs would need to be added to the
Debian Pure Blends group on Alioth.  I'm fine with direct commits if you
are sure about the commits.  Other things should probably be discussed
here on the list (for instance to avoid playing ping-pong with octave /
gnuplot dependencies).

> 4. Also, is there a way to validate the modifications done to the file
> before committing / sending a patch?

There is no such thing but it would be a nice feature.  Perhaps I will
talk about this with the GSoC student working on the metapackage
creation stuff.  In general I can confirm that the format is quite
simple and hard to break.  If there were any problems in the past I was
able to fix them quickly (as I said I'm watching those log files above).

Many thanks for your comments