Re: Mpich 1/2/3

Hi Anton,

I agree the renaming is confusing. From what I understand, with the
release of the MPI 3 standard last November, the MPICH developers
decided to have the matching MPI standard version appear in the MPICH
version number, but they judged MPICH2-3 would be too confusing, so they
renamed it back to MPICH. Things would have been simpler if they had
never named the rewrite from a few years ago MPICH2, with version
numbers 1.x, but simply MPICH-2.x, but it is too late to change history.

Simply, I believe that if Debian aligns the MPICH package name with the
upstream library, things may be confusing to old-timers for a few
months, but if it uses a different numbering, the confusion may be
initially less, but will last longer. I am not knowledgeable enough in
the package naming schemes to suggest anything better (perhaps
transitional package names might be useful here, but I am not sure they
are intended for this sort of situation, or whether they might not make
the situation even more complex).

Regards,

  Yvan