Re: Mpich 1/2/3

Hi Torquil,

Thank you very much for helping maintain mpich2,
and for starting to package 3.0.4.

You seem bright, and may already know this, but
there's a nice graph of libmpich1.0gf's popularity
at

    http://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=mpich

If I read the stats right, maybe about 2% of
computers running debian use libmpich1.0gf.

If a million people use Debian, maybe 20,000 use
libmpich1.0gf.

I don't want to over-react, but I'm worried that
some of them might get upset if libmpich1.0gf
broke or went away.

If worse came to worse, I suppose you might

    1.) rename the current "mpich" source package
    to something like "mpich-old" and update
    libmpich1.0gf to use it, or

    2.) rename "mpich2" to something like "mpich3" or
    "mpich-source".

I hope that helps,
Kingsley