RE : Debian Science and GSoC

> So I'd "+1" a "Sage in Debian" GSoC project.  It should be mentioned
> here that this is not just a simple packaging job but rather creating a
> small ecosystem which is more sophisticated than packaging a random
> package.  In the same manner root comes to mind and I'm pretty sure that
> the Debian Med team would be able to add some tasks of this kind (at
> least fighting to some JAR dependency hell of some really important
> packages could be a perfect job for a GSoC student).

+1

In science we see plenty of historic platform dedicated to specific communities needs.
Most of the time theses platform does not follow good FLOSS practices. The build system
is home made, plenty of non-commercial licenses BUT they are the references for the
scientific communities. So packaging of this kind of things is really
important and require not only technical but also social skills. Good training for a student.

Exemple:

ccp4[1], cctbx[2]

Cheers

Frederic