Re: Debian Science and GSoC

Hi,

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:10:11AM +0100, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le 11/03/2013 10:01, Andreas Tille a écrit :
> > Hi Sylvestre,
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 01:04:17PM +0100, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> >> I am not (at all) opposed to it but, in the past, we (the GSoC team)
> >> refused to have GSoC projects about packaging.
> >> Did we change this "rule" ?
> > Even if I did not dived to deeply into GSoC organisation I have read
> > some arguments about not accepting pure packaging projects.  However, I
> > wonder whether the arguments can be really proven to be correct without
> > trying it at least for some exceptions.
> >
> Oh, I would be happy to see this rule updated. Especially that means
> that we have more mentors interested and
> therefor more project proposals.

So I'd "+1" a "Sage in Debian" GSoC project.  It should be mentioned
here that this is not just a simple packaging job but rather creating a
small ecosystem which is more sophisticated than packaging a random
package.  In the same manner root comes to mind and I'm pretty sure that
the Debian Med team would be able to add some tasks of this kind (at
least fighting to some JAR dependency hell of some really important
packages could be a perfect job for a GSoC student).