Re: Two astronomy-related RFSes up for sponsoring (since 2 months)

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 07:06:44PM +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> > The only issue I have that as always I wonder why the package is not yet
> > mentioned in the astronomy(-dev ??) task of Debian Science.  Could you
> > please suggest reasonable task(s) for the binary packages of this source
> > package?
>
> Ideally yorick-svipc should be listed as a dependency of yorick-full, in
> the astronomy task.

To clarify some potential missunderstanding:  Inside the tasks file all
binary packages are equal and you can not really declare inter-package
dependencies.  Either a package makes sense to be listed explicitely to
be advertised for the users explicitely or you do not want to have it
shown up on the tasks page then leave it out.  Regarding the metapackage
creation part of the tasks file:  If you mention yorick-svipc
explixitely it will be installed as direct dependency of the metapackage
and if not it will be installed as indirect dependency via yorick-full
metapackage.  In any case it will be installed (once yorick-full is
updated properly) - it is just a question how you want to advertise the
package.  I hope this explanation is helpful to find a reasonable
decision.

> But doing that before yp-svipc enters unstable would
> render yorick-full uninstallable...

It makes perfect sense to wait for yorick-svipc entering unstable before
you will change yorick-full.

> I don't understand how tasks work,
> is it harmless to include a package which is not yet in testing (or even
> not in the archive at all)?

I would explicitely enforce you to put *any* package you work on
straight into the tasks files.  There are two main use case which can
both deal with this properly.  On the one hand there is the creation of
the metapackages.  This steps verifies the status of the testing
distribution and if a package is not inside it is "degraded" to
"Suggests" und thus can perfectly migrate to testing.  The other use
case are the tasks pages in the web sentinel and here the packages are
detected whereever they are, be it in testing, unstable, experimental
and even in NEW or only in VCS and not yet uploaded.  This moves the
package down in the hirarchy but users can get the information that
you are working on this.

> > I decided to add gyoto to the astronomy task - please confirm that this is
> > all what should be added or whether possibly libgyoto0-dev would be a
> > good thing for astronomy-dev (or whatever)
>
> Yes, I would put libgyoto0-dev in astronomy-dev, gyoto in astronomy, and
> at some point add yorick-gyoto to yorick-full.

I decided for the "advertising what we have" way I explained above -
feel free to have a look at

   http://blends.debian.net/science/tasks/astronomy#yorick-gyoto

to verify whether this is in your interest.

> > Hope this helps you a bit while I'm on Debian Science meeting in Grenoble. :-)
>
> Yes, that helps a lot :-)

But please understand that I'll leave you astronomy guys alone after the
workshop and focus again on stuff which is much closer to me.  You will
need to nag here on this list again for a bot longer (or hopefully not).